COB Changes and Updates
CHANGES EFFECTIVE FALL 2017
Major Changes for 2017-2018 and onward catalogs (do not apply to previous catalogs)
- Finance and Banking Major (F&B):
- FIN 3990 (Financial Analysis Using Computer Applications) added as a new F&B major required course.
- FIN 4660 removed as F&B major required course
- FIN 4660 approved as F&B Set 1 major elective
- Risk Management and Insurance Major (RMI):
- RMI now has a core of 15 required hours
- FIN 3990 added as a new RMI major required course
- FIN 4700 added as a new RMI major required course
- FIN 3600 deleted as RMI major required course
- FIN 3600 approved as RMI major elective
- FIN 4700 removed as RMI major elective
- FIN 3990 is approved for the following substitutions on catalogs before 2017-2018
- It can count as F&B Elective Set 2
- OR it can substitute for FIN 4660 in the F&B major core (for catalogs that require that course)
- It can count as RMI Major Elective on catalogs before 2017-2018
- FIN 3549 (Selected Topics: Entrepreneurial Finance), Fall 2017 offering approved as
- Advanced Entrepreneurship minor elective
- Entrepreneurial Studies minor elective
- MGT-ENT major elective (for catalogs prior to 2014-2015)
- Advanced Entrepreneurship Minor changes (this minor is for business majors only)
- Added as electives: MGT 3300, MGT 3400 (approved as minor electives for previous catalogs)
- Deleted as electives: MGT 3620, CIS 3710, FIN 3100
- Entrepreneurial Studies Minor changes (this minor is not available to business majors)
- Added as elective: ENT 3600 (approved as minor electives for previous catalogs)
- Deleted as electives: MGT 3630, CIS 3710
Course Title Change: ECO 3410 is now titled International Trade
CHANGES EFFECTIVE FALL 2016
- Math requirement changed from MAT 1030 to MAT 1035
- 2.0 GPA added to Additional COB Core
- 2.0 COB GPA eliminated
- All BSBA programs that did not previously have a major GPA requirement now have one
- CIS 4840 (Advanced Security) changed to CIS 3440 (Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures) - prereq: CIS 3840 - on demand
- MKT 3052 changed to MKT 3215 (Professional Selling) - F/S
- MKT 3210 changed to MKT 3285 (Retail Management) - on demand
- MKT 3230 (Business to Business Marketing) changed to MKT 3280 (Business to Business Buyer Behavior) - F/S
- MKT 4100 (Marketing Management) changed to MKT 4650 (Strategic Marketing Management) - F/S
- MKT 4610 changed to MKT 3270 (Consumer Behavior) - F/S
- POM 3650 changed to SCM 3650 (Production and Operations Management) - F/S
- Change hours needed to take 3000-level business courses to 54 earned hours
- Change hours needed to take 4000-level business courses to 84 earned hours
- WID prereq removed from any course with a number change from 4000 level to 3000 level
- SCM 3660 - add STT 2820 as prereq option
- SCM 3670 - add STT 2820 as prereq option
- SCM 3690 - add STT 2820 as prereq option
- All business courses that had MAT 1030 as a prerequisite now have "or MAT 1035" added as a prerequisite
New Business Courses Effective 2016-2017
- BUS 2045 (Introduction to International Business Abroad) - on demand
- BUS 2055 (Introduction to International Sustainable Business Abroad) - on demand
- BUS 3045 (International Business Seminar Abroad) - on demand
- BUS 3055 (international Sustainable Business Abroad)
- BUS 4045 (Advanced International Business Seminar Abroad)
- BUS 4055 (Advanced International Sustainable Business Seminar Abroad) - on demand
- BUS 4060 (spring Holland Fellows course)
- BUS 4065 (summer Holland Fellows course)
- BUS 3520 (Instructional Assistant)
- BUS Independent Study (2500, 3500, 4500)
- HOS 3100 (Sustainable Tourism) - spring only
- MKT 3290 (Services Marketing) - on demand
- MKT 3295 (New Product Development and Branding) - on demand
- MKT 4560 (Advanced Sales Techniques) - prereq. MKT 3215 - F/S
- MKT 3910 (Sales Internship) - 3 or 6 hours - SS
- SCM Selected Topics (1530-1549; 2530-2549; 3530-3549; 4530-4559
- SCM 3520 (Instructional Assistant)
- SCM 3720 (Strategic Procurement and Global Sourcing) - prereq/coreq: SCM 3660 - F/S
- SCM Independent Study (2500, 3500, 4500)
- SCM Honors Thesis (3510, 4510)
Changes in Course Credits
- BUS 3900 (International Internship) is now 1-6 credits
- MKT 3900 (Marketing Internship) is now 3 or 6 credits
COB Program Changes (for students on 2016-2017 and onward catalogs)
- BSBA-CIS added SCM 4870 as a major elective option
- BSBA-HOS added HOS 3100 as major elective option
- BSBA-IB added required elective of either ECO 4640 or FIN 4750; reduced approved electives by three hours; added courses to IB major elective options and removed cult/civ and business language course from required minors (with the exception of SNH 4090, which is still required in SNH minor)
- BSBA-MKT major changed to MKT:Gen Mkt and MKT:Sales (see Programs of Study)
- IB minor changes to elective options
- SB minor has changes in all sections
- SCM minor now requires SCM 3650 (formerly POM 3650) and has new elective options
- BA-ECO: Environmental Economics and Policy Concentration - Two new required courses and ECO major electives changed to be from approved list
- BA-ECO: International Economics - One new required course and ECO major electives reduced and changed to be from approved list.
2016-2017 COB New Programs
- HOS minor added for all majors except HOS majors
- Marketing Professional Selling minor added for business majors not majoring in MKT: Sales
- Marketing Sales minor added for non business majors
- SCM major (pending approval from GA
COB Course Term Offered Changes Effective 2016-2017
- MKT 3210 - "F/S;on demand" changed to MKT 3285 (Retail Management) - on demand
- MKT 3230 changed to MKT 3280 and from F/S;on demand to F/S
- MKT 4100 changed to MKT 4650 and from F/S; on demand to F/S
COB Course Title Changes Effective 2016-2017
- CIS 4840 (Advanced Security) changed to CIS 3440 (Ethical hacking and Countermeasures)
- MGT 4630 changed from "Labor Relations" to "Employee and Labor Relations"
- MKT 3230 (Business to Business MKT) changed to MKT 3280 (Business to Business Buyer Behavior) - F/S
- MKT 4100 (Marketing Management) changed to MKT 4650 (Strategic Marketing Management) - F/S
COB Course Deletions Effective 2016-2017
- Delete BUS 3010, 3020, 3030, 3040, 3050, 3060, 3070, 3080
2016-2017 COB Selected Topics Courses (how they count)
- ECO 3530 - Game Theory (Fall 2016) - counts as ECO major elective that can be any 3000/4000 level ECO course (not when elective must come from approved list) and COB Elective
- FIN 3545 - Tycoons, Titans and Founders (Fall 2016) - counts as F&B Set 2 Elective, RMI major elective or COB Elective
- MKT 3530 - Marketing Analytics (Fall 2016) - counts as MKT major elective or COB Elective (if not previously taken as a Selected Topics course number)
CHANGES EFFECTIVE FALL 2015
2015-2016 Course Number Changes
- ENG 1000 changing to RC 1000
- ENG 2001 changing to RC 2001
- MGT 3060 changing to ENT 3060
- MGT 3190 changing to ENT 3190
- MGT 3600 changing to ENT 3600
- MGT 3650 changing to ENT 3650
- MGT 4650 changing to ENT 4650
- MGT 4680 changing to ENT 4680
2015-2016 Course Prerequisite Changes
- ACC 3560 - prerequisite changed to ACC 3100 with min. grade of C-
- ACC 4560 - prerequisite changed to ACC 3100 with min. grade of C-
- ACC 4730 - prerequisite changed to ACC 3100 with min. grade of C-
- ACC 4760 - prerequisite changed to ACC 3100 with min. grade of C-
- CIS 3580 - prerequisite change to CIS 3250 as a prereq or coreq
- CIS 3680 - prerequisite change to CIS 3250 as a prereq or coreq
- CIS 3750 - prerequisite change to CIS 3250 as a prereq or coreq
- ECO 3610 - prerequisite changed to ECO 2030 with a min. grade of C-
- ECO 2200 - prerequisite changed to one of the following: ECO 2100, STT 2810 or STT 2820
2015-2016 New Business Courses
- ACC 3590 - Assessing Sustainability in a Global Business Environment - counts as ACC major elective and Global Issues requirement
- ENT 3520 - Instructional Assistant
- ENT 3530-3549 - Selected Topics
- ENT 3900 - Internship
- ENT 4530-4549 - Selected Topics
- ENT 4500 - Independent Study
- FIN 3720 - Group Benefits Management (fall only) - count as COB Elective and in Employee Benefits minor
- FIN 3730 - Health Care Financing (spring only) - count as COB Elective and in Employee Benefits minor
Fall 2015 Selected Topics Courses
- CIS 3531 - Advance Excel and Access - counts as CIS major/minor elective and SCM minor elective
- FIN 3545 - Tycoons, Titans & Blaggards - counts as COB Elective, F&B Set 2 Elective and RMI major Elective
2015-2016 Program Changes
- ACC 4760 removed as an option for the required auditing course in the accounting major
- FIN 3030 can count as a F&B Set 2 Elective (approved to count retroactively to previous catalogs as well.
- New "Employee Benefits" minor added - available to all majors on a 2015-2016 or later catalog.
- ACC 4580 changed to Taxation of Business Entities
- CIS 1026 changed to Essential Business Tools & Technologies
- CIS 3870 changed to Web and Mobile Development
- MGT 4640 changed to The Strategy and Practice of Human Resource Management
- ECO 4640 changed from being offered in spring only to fall only
CHANGES EFFECTIVE FALL 2014
Course Number Changes Effective Fall 2014
- ECO 4630 changing to ECO 3630
- FIN 3071 changing to FIN 3100
- FIN 3072 changing to FIN 3600
- FIN 3073 changing to FIN 4600
(also prereq change)
- FIN 3075 changing to FIN 4800
(also prereq change)
- FIN 4570 changing to FIN 4950 (also title change - see number/title change section below)
Program Changes in the 2014-2015 Catalog
- CIS minor will be available for all non-CIS majors (business or non-business)
- BUS 2000 (0 credits; graded S/U) required for admission to the COB
(only for students following the 2014-2015 or later catalog)
- MGT-Entrepreneurship, MGT-General and MGT-Human Resource Management concentrations deleted
- Management major added (same curriculum as MGT-General from previous catalog)
- An Advanced Entrepreneurship minor has been added (for business majors only)
- A Human Resource management minor has been added (for business or non-business majors)
- A Sustainable Business minor has been added (for business or non-business majors)
- The Entrepreneurship minor for non-business majors has been renamed "Entrepreneurial Studies"
- FIN 3700 and FIN 4700 have been added to the RMI major electives beginning 2014-2015
- With the exception of the Marketing major, all COB majors that had 3000/4000 level free electives have changed these to free electives at any level.
Course Additions Effective Fall 2014
- BUS 2000
(required for admission to COB only for students on 2014-2015 and later catalogs)
- CIS 3720 (Enterprise Systems)
- FIN 3700 (Employee Benefits) - will count as RMI major elective on all catalogs
- FIN 4700 (Insurance Operations) - will count as RMI major elective on all catalogs
- MGT 3300 (Sustainable Business)
- MGT 3400 (Change Management)
- MGT 3600 (Entrepreneurship Study Abroad) - 3 sh can count towards MGT-ENT Major Elective on all catalogs between 2007-2008 through 2013-2014
- MGT 3650 - MGT 3060 prerequisite removed
- MGT 4680 - prerequisite changed from MGT 4650 and min. grade of C in WID to MGT 3060 and min. grade of C in WID
- MGT 4650 - prerequisite changed from MGT 3060 and min. grade of C in WID to MGT 3060, MKT 3050, FIN 3680 and min. grade of C in WID
Course Deletions Effective Fall 2014
- MGT 3040 (Chaild Labor in Global & Historical Perspectives)
(this course also counted in the Capitalism and Its Critics General Education theme in the Historical and Social Perspective)
Terms Changed Effective Fall 2014
- FIN 3780 changed from "Fall" to "On Demand"
- FIN 3880 changed from "Fall" to "On Demand"
- FIN 4580 changed from "Spring" to "On Demand"
- MGT 3170 changed from "On Demand" to "Fall and Spring"
- MGT 3650 changed from "Spring Only" to "Fall Only"
Course Title Changes Effective Fall 2014
- CIS 2050 changed from "Foundations of Information Systems" to "Information Technology in the Organization"
- CIS 3710 changed from "Emerging Technologies" to "Emerging Information Technologies"
- ECO 4621/5621 changed from"Advanced Environmental Economics" to "Environmental Economics"
- ECO 2030 changed from "Principles of Economics-Price Theory to "Principles of Microeconomics"
- ECO 2040 changed from "Principles of Economics-Macro" to "Principles of Macroeconomics"
- MGT 3170 changed from "Fostering and Managing Creativity" to "Creativity and Design"
Course Title and Number Change Effective Fall 2014
- FIN 4570 "Risk Management" changed to FIN 4950 "Enterprise Risk & Insurance Management"
Fall 2014 Selected Topics
- FIN 3545-101 (Tycoons, Titan Founders, Financiers) can coun as follows: F&B Set 2 Elective, RMI major elective or COB elective. This is not a COB Honors course.
- MGT 4530 (Business and the Environment) will count as a major elective for the Management major (Fall 2014 onward), Manangement major with a General Management concentration (prior to Fall 2014) and the Management major with an Entrepreneurship concentration (Fall 2007-Summer 2014)
CHANGES EFFECTIVE IN PREVIOUS TERMS AND HOW SPECIAL COURSES COUNT
- FIN 3545-410 (Tycoons, Titans & Blaggards) can count as follows: F&B Set 2 Elective, RMI major elective, or COB elective (COB Honors course).
- MGT 3542 (Entrepreneurship in Panama) can count as a MGT-ENT major elective or a MGT-GEN major elective or a COB elective or a 3000/4000 level free elective.
- FIN 3030, Personal Financial Management (previously taught as FIN 3535), has been added as a new course. Students who have taken FIN 3535 cannot take FIN 3030 for new credit.
- FIN 3545 (Tycoons, Titans & Blaggards) can count as follows: F&B Set 2 Elective, RMI major elective, or COB elective
- MGT 3542 (Entrepreneurship and Opportunity in Panama) can cover a MGT-ENT major elective or a MGT-GEN major elective or a COB elective or a 3000/4000 level free elective.
- August 2, 2013 is the last day the Financial Planning certificate can be declared as a program of study. It is being discontinued effective Fall 2013.
- HON 3515-104 counts as a 3000/4000 Level COB Elective or a F&B Set 2 Major Elective and/or RMI Major Elective
- HON 3515-105 counts as a 3000/4000 Level COB Elective or as a CIS Major Elective