Changing Your Major, Minor, Concentration or Certificate
A change in the academic program requires careful consideration. Before changing your major, you should ask yourself if the new major is a good fit for your skills and interests, if you have learned enough about the major to make an informed choice and if careers associated with the major fit into your life plan (while keeping in mind that many people do not work in a field related to the major choice and most people changes careers several times while employed).
If you have officially declared a business major and decide you want to change it - or add, drop or change a minor or certificate - here's where you should go.
- If your records are already in the College of Business and you are either adding or dropping a business major, or adding or dropping any type of minor or certificate, or changing your catalog, you must make an appointment to meet with a business advisor to complete the change of major form.
- If your records are in a different degree-granting college and you want to add a BSBA business major or BA Economics program, you must make an appointment to meet with a business advisor to complete the change of major form.
- If your records are in the College of Business and you are changing to a non-business major or adding a non-business major, you must go to the degree granting college/school that houses your new intended major to change it. For the School of Music, the College of Health Sciences and the College of Education, go to the Dean’s Office. All other majors need to go to the specific academic department.
- If you are a non-business major adding a business minor, you must go to the Dean's Office or the Student Services area of the degree granting college that houses your major to add or drop a minor.
- If you have never officially declared your major, you must follow the instructions on the Unversity College web page.
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to move your files from one degree granting college to another.
- Adding a business major does not imply admission to the College of Business.
If you have questions about the procedure for completing the change of major/minor paperwork in a non business college, please contact the appropriate Dean’s Office/Student Service area:
- College of Arts and Sciences: Room 100, I. G. Greer
- College of Education: 404C College of Education
- College of Fine and Applied Arts: 220 Edwin Duncan Hall
- College of Health Sciences: 102 Edwin Duncan Hall
- School of Music: Broyhill Music Center
- University College: 101 D.D. Dougherty Hall